SPOON, FULL OF TRUTH

A heavy dose of truth, humor, and political activism.

Name:
Location: Phila, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, August 04, 2006

GUEST COLUMN


THE FOLLOWING IS THE FOURTH INSTALLMENT OF MY GUEST COLUMN SEGMENT. THE VIEWS ARE THOSE OF THE WRITER AND NOT THOSE OF D. JACOB MILLER OR SPOON, FULL OF TRUTH (ALTHOUGH I MIGHT AGREE WITH THEM). PLEASE ENJOY! CHECK BACK SOON FOR ANOTHER OFFICIAL SPOON, FULL OF TRUTH POST.
Let's have a show of hands. How many of you thought that Mel Gibson (Hi, my name is Mel Gibson, and I am a raging anti-Semite) and Fidel Castro (My kid brother Raoul will be filling in for me) would be sharing the spotlight at a time when Iraq is on the verge of civil war with all the sectarian violence, and the middle east war between Israel and Hezbollah is threatening to engulf the entire region? That’s what I thought. No one. What to make of all this craziness? Well, surprisingly, I think both situations can end up with a positive resolution. Hear me out. First, Mel. He is begging for forgiveness. He is asking Jews to help him through this crisis. For those of you living under a rock, Mel, after being stopped by a police officer in Malibu, California, allegedly lashed out at the officer with a scatological anti-Semitic diatribe. Mel, who was allegedly driving under the influence, perhaps realizing that his career could be jeopardized by his revealing his true feelings, apologized and tried to put the beer back in the can (so to speak). All of us, at one time or another, have said something or done something we have regretted and wished we could erase. Maybe it was something like saying, “girls aren't good at sports,” when choosing sides in the playground. Maybe it was blurting out a racial epithet, or locking the car doors when driving through a "bad" neighborhood. As soon as we said it or did it, we recognized how inappropriate it was. So I would say, let us forgive Mel, but don't forget what he did. If he does it again, then I say let us boycott his films or whatever else he undertakes. Oh yeah, I would also ask Mel to contribute mucho $$$ to a charity that fights anti-Semitism. And, finally, as Joy Behar suggested, ask Mel to publicly get circumcised. Now to Fidel. This is a momentous opportunity to modify our relations with Cuba. The embargo in my opinion has failed. Castro has been in power longer than any other person. I don't count Queen Elizabeth, whose reign is mostly ceremonial. I know there are many Cuban Americans who hate Castro and his regime. I suspect that they will continue to hate Raoul or any other successor(s) chosen by Fidel. Nevertheless, I think this a perfect time to relax the embargo and take that weapon out of Fidel's arsenal. He has often railed about the injustice of our embargo. Remember, it was Tricky Dick Nixon who, much to the shock of most Americans, opened the door to renewed relations with China. We need to open the door, not continue to isolate Cuba. The true victims of our policy are the Cuban people who are denied the opportunity, by and large, to engage us one to one. So there they are, my proposals to fix the Mel and Fidel problems. Please comment on this post and let me know what you think. -Jay Fanyal

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a healthcare attorney, I've seen many instances where the dollar sign has lead those bound by the Hippocratic oath to lose sight of their responsibility (as well as their opportunity) to cure the sick. Laws have been passed to prohibit physicians from receiving incentives (like free meals and trips) from drug companies in the hope they act more responsibly. Even though we may win that battle, we have already lost the war if laws are required to make drug companies and physicians act in the best interest of the patient. If only compassion for others were the compass guiding us, we all would be better off. I certainly support stem cell research and will let my representatives know.

August 04, 2006 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I just spoke of compassion in my last comment, but I have a hard time forgiving Mel Gibson just because he says he is sorry. If he really means it, let him prove it over time. I'll look at his deeds in 12 or 24 months and then I'll decide whether he is worthly of forgiveness.

August 04, 2006 1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob Schneider of Deuce Bigelow movie fame and a former Saturday Night Live cast member took out a full page ad in today's Variety that states he will never work with Mel Gibson under any circumstances.Way to go Deuce, Imean Rob.

August 04, 2006 2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In today's NY Times there is a brief report on Mel. The article states that he was charged with driving under the influence, having an elevated blood-alcohol level and having an open container of liquor in his car. The article , more pointedly, states that Merv Adelson,a former television producer and co-founder of Lorimar Telepictures , placed an ad in Wednesday's Los Angeles Times criticizing movie studio heads for not condeming Mad Mel actions. " Let's make ourselves proud and NOT support this JERK in any way,"Mr. Adelson wrote.
I guess I feel the same as Mr. Adelson and, as noted in an earlier comment, Rob Schneider. Mel you are an ignorant shmuck.

August 04, 2006 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Yahoo.com tv section, today's poll question is: Joy Behar of " The View" has suggested a public circumcision for Mel Gibson as penance. If he did this, would it change your opinion about him ? I didn't vote, but I would sure watch The View to see it done to him.

August 04, 2006 3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see it now, Mel Gibson , after rehab, starring in " Fiddler on the Roof", as Tevye.

August 04, 2006 4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In today's Philadelphia Inquirer (8/7/06 ) on the editorial page,syndicated columnist Leonard Pitts, Jr.(of the Miami Herald ) has a very good piece on Mel Gibson. It is worth reading.I hope your readers can find it.

August 07, 2006 3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good afternoon. In today's (8/8/06 )Philadelphia Daily News , Elmer Smith has a terrific column on Cuba. Elmer makes some excellent points about the impact that the 40 year long United States embargo has had on the Cuban economy.I highly recommend the article to the Spoon Full faithful.

August 08, 2006 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness ! I can't believe my eyes. This morning's Philadelphia Daily News brought with it a shocking surprise. Michael Smerconish, a darling of the conseratives, took a position on Cuba that mirrors my comments in the Guest column.I don't know what to say but I actually agree with you Michael. I agree that now is the time to end the Cuban embargo.We must seize the opportunity. No and , ifs or buts.

August 10, 2006 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home